Monday, October 15, 2012

I Remember...

It was a dark and stormy night....

Ok, 
it WAS dark, 
and late...
and I seem to remember bad weather....
but as I was almost 12 years old
 ( it's been a year ...or two).

I DO however remember that I wasn't able to go to sleep because
mom had gone to Blackfoot to have "the baby".
Back then we didn't know the gender until the baby made it's appearance.
So when dad arrived home I heard him right away.
He came in and sat at the side of the bed and told me I had a new baby sister.
He told me that they weren't exactly sure of what the name would be,
either Cere June or Celiac* and that I needed to go to sleep.
I felt special and excited to be the first to know and lay there savoring the moment...

Until Roberta rolled over and smugly said "I heard it all."

Yeah...
the joys of younger siblings and sharing a bed.

From the onset Celiac was a very distinct and independent personality.
She had her own opinion and wasn't going to change her mind
just because it might be the expedient thing to do.
She was able to converse intelligently and comfortable with adults and peers alike.
(perhaps with a preference for adults, as kids tended to be unreasonable.)

Over the years Miss C went through reams of paper, crayons, markers, pencils and
masses of artistic creations using any materials that came to hand.

Growing up in a small town, as the youngest of 8, count em 8 children,
 it was a long time before some of her older sibling took her seriously.
Not to mention three older brothers whose sole joy in life
 seemed to be taunting and teasing their sisters.


 Celiac has taken the opportunities and challenges life has dealt
and become an amazing, creative, fun, funny, compassionate and incredible human.

I am grateful every day for her presence, humor and influence in my life.
She brightens my days and has a steady, caring listening ear.
I love her with all my heart
 and wish her the BEST of Birthdays!

(Cere June would have just been weird!)

7 comments:

The Desiree said...

Oh that is so cute. How fun are those pictures. I love the quilt looking dresses those must have taken forever to make! Thanks for sharing.
I agree Cere June would have been a weird name. C is much better!
Happy Birthday C!!

Lost Woman said...

Well that was a very sweet thing to write about.
I think you have told me that story before about Dad telling you the name.
Makes me laugh.

Thank you for remembering!

Lost Woman said...

Oh yeah... and did you notice what a grandma V chin I have going on that stump picture?
Hmmmm?

Allison Petersen said...

I wish I could put my feelings/emotions into words the way you do. It was perfect and and I say diddo to the everything below the last picure!! (kind of cheating, but still true)
Love ya both!!

michandler said...

I left a comment and it is no where to be seen. Weird. Can't even remember what I wrote now. Awesome tribute to C

Smith's said...

I think my mom still has a dress like that! I wore it when I did my 70's presentation in highschool! My mom rolling over sounds like the exact same comment I would have made when Leslie and I shared a bed!
Happy Birthday to one of the best aunts ever!

Amy Wallace said...

Great Birthday stories, thanks for sharing and I agree with it all! Love the pictures