Sunday, August 30, 2009

Hollyhocks, Hummer wars, and Hikes

Here are a few of the things I love about summer...

Hollyhocks...

Well, pretty much any flowers.


These are some from last weekend's hike up Broad Canyon
in Copper Basin.






Hummingbird wars

I think they're getting stocked up for the trip south.

I just think this pic is funny.

Looks like he stuck his beak right through the branch eh?

Views from the hike...

Early morning light. We started out at 8am.

Chuck took the high path and I took the low.
I was "going" to find a nice spot and read and relax.
So, I packed a couple of books, a blanket and pillow.
Which in spite of how it sounds, added up to a fair amount of weight.


But... apparently I'm a bit compulsive.
I decided after I'd gone 1 1/2 miles that I'd just go to the "trailhead"
which I "thought" was only another 1 1/2 miles.


After half a mile the trail changed from a gentle incline to switch backs.


I kept going...


And going...


Thinking, "I "should" be getting there pretty quick... "


Well, 2 miles of switchbacks and ever increasing altitude later ,
I ran into Chuck... on his way down.

I had abandoned my pack and was rambling about at 9800 feet.


So, he made me eat some nuts, drink some liquids and we headed down.
I never did get my peaceful rest.
He hiked about 12 miles round trip, and I logged 8 miles.

I still can't believe how green it was for the end of August in Idaho.
By the time we got back to the chuckwagon I was hot, cranky and hungry.
This was probably one of the best sandwiches of all time!
Peter Pan peanut butter and blueberry jam
washed down with cold milk.
Ahhh.....
Perhaps the only thing that could rival that was
getting my first official "pedicure" complete with massaging chair.
I could take that every day.

1 comment:

michandler said...

Beautiful toes...I mean photos. Perhaps you should not wander off on your own at high altitude :-) Sounds like it was a nice time though.