Friday, August 14, 2009

Ahh Beans....

I spent all that time yesterday and didn't post about the "actual" death march. (Subconsciously trying to block it out?!?) Actually it went really well. I was fairly apprehensive about carrying a 35 pound pack on a hot summer day at the end of July even though I had been walking for most of the year. I'm another year older and have lost the same 5 pounds over so many times I don't know why I even bother to try. My body obviously is pretty comfortable where it's at...But I digress...
Our goal was the Cramer Lakes in the Sawtooth Chain. We got up and took the boat ride across Redfish Lake and started on the trailhead right at 10am. The trail is a fairly gradual climb and we were only going as far as the flatrock junction that day, a little over 3 miles. Check out the sego lilies and all the wildflowers along the trails above. Unfortunately, it got hot and I got tired fast. So I was thrilled to reach the junction, take off that pack and swill some of the slushy ruby red juice that Chuck always starts out the death march carrying. He started that tradition 6 or 7 years ago. He freezes a large bottle of ruby red and then by the time we reach our goal we celebrate by drinking it until we get a brain freeze. There were people in the site that we wanted to camp but after sending the men out on a scouting expedition we found an even nicer spot near some lovely rushing water with a nice flat rock expanse to sit and watch the water. The only drawback was there were MILLIONS of mosquitoes!!! I got bit more this trip than I can ever remember. I ended up with 8 different massive bites on my forehead right by my visor line. For some reason bites on my head swell like no tomorrow. It looked like I had been beaned with a bag of marbles.
Here's a cool little hollow that reminded me of something that hobbits might live in right by the creek where we camped that first night. It was pulled up by the roots of a tree that had toppled. I left before the others the next morning so I could walk at my own pace (Bob is about 6'5, Doris is almost 6' ) figuring that they could catch up to me. I actually made it there in better time than they did. I figured out a "baby step" method for going up the steep parts that worked like a dream for me. I saw tons of flowers on the way up and the 3 miles went much faster than the day before. I'm sure the cooler morning air and walking in the shade the entire way was a contributing factor. I'll put a few flower shots and the grouse that posed for me here...

Yay for super macro!I made it there by 10 and scoped out a lovely camp site for us with a stunning view of the falls. This is what you see when you get to middle Cramer lake. The view from our campsite.

Here's some shots from the top of the falls. I spent several hours there just watching the water, snoozing on a flat rock and observing some thrill seeking youths jumping off the cliffs into the water. You can get a little better idea of scale in this pic with Chuck on the top and I'm about half way down taking the shot. You can see our tent in the center of this shot.I have to say that the Cramer lakes - there are 4 of them total, are my favorite lakes of any that we have been to - ever. Now if I could just figure out a way to not have those pesky mosquitoes eat me alive it would be perfect!
Here's a shot of the temple rocks near the pass that Chuck, Bob and Doris hiked up to. I stayed down at about 9000 feet to avoid the altitude problems. I spent the time taking pictures of flowers, wading in water and snoozing.

We spent two days at the middle lake and then packed up and bade the falls farewell.
Here's the parting shot.
We camped at the same site where we spent the first night. And after Chuck fixed us a breakfast we headed out.
Here's Chuck with his 50 pound pack. Talk about a glutton for punishment....
Next year either my pack or I'll be lighter. That's my goal.

4 comments:

Lost Woman said...

oh man, I remember your shots of that waterfall and lake from the last time you were there.

Makes me want to go, in spite of the mosquitoes and my 100 extra lbs!

michandler said...

Beautiful photos. I think the hike just might be worth it for the scenery. I guess I am missing alot by not getting out and enjoying nature more. I'm sure there are great places just like that everywhere around me. Maybe when Tucker starts getting into hiking he'll invite me along occasionally?!

Aaron said...

I am stealing some of your great pictures of the Cramer lakes. We hiked by there last summer for high adventure and I didn't have a camera. We were supposed to camp there for a night but ended up hiking down to Redfish instead, and just stayed long enough for some of use to jump off the cliffs by the falls.

wallymom said...

Yay you did it. Beautiful scenery, excellant pictures.