Thursday, April 17, 2008

Oh What A Night....

Chuck and I went to a performance at the Stephens performing art center last night. He had purchased the tickets when they first came on sale so we had fantastic seats, right on the front row. And boy was this the show to have those seats. It was a really fun show. I would have to call it dance/acrobatic/performance. There were some really innovative costuming and visual things that went on and I LOVED it! Perhaps the best part was the penquins (see pic) playing musical chairs and when the last penguin was left he came down off the stage walked along the front row and stopped in front of Chuck. He/She just stared at him for the longest time and then with it's beak indicated that he should vacate his chair. We laughed. It waited. Nodded to him again. So, Chuck shrugged and stood up. The penguin stood by him for a minute, and then sat in his chair. I was laughing so hard tears were running down my face. The penguin sat (almost reclining) there for a few minutes. Then casually put it's flipper around my shoulders , right at home, while Chuck stood there in front of a full auditorium of people. It was great. I loved the humor, the physical adroitness and imagery in each of the sketches. It really was a fun show. Parts of it reminded me of when Kels and I got to see the Blue Man Group in Vegas the year she graduated. It's amazing what you can convey without ever saying a word. So, that's been the highlight of the week...so far. It's going to be a hard one to top especially the way the rest of the week is shaping up.
Today I caught a special ed student riffling through other student's backpacks. This is after having learned firsthand about the whole booking, jailing, releasing on bail bond procedure last Friday night while in Boise for one of my students who got caught shop lifting. Yea, you can see why the performance has been the highlight. I still have to write up and official "report" to turn in to our school resource officer (like spending 41/2 hours dealing with it over there wasnt' enough). Seriously makes you think twice about trusting students and I don't like feeling that way. Yeah so, that's all kind of a bummer.
Let's just switch directions here. I want to share some pics of our "new" acquisition. Chuck got a sweet, conversion van about a week ago. It was top of the line when it first rolled off the assembly line; leather seats, oak interior, window shades, TV, video player, seat that converts to a bed, all sorts of storage and very roomy. It has the extra head room, (though I have managed to bang my head and get an enormous bump already- cause I'm talented that way). Chuck test drove it to Boise for drill and decided it handled pretty well and did ok on the gas mileage. He got a steal of a deal on the price (gas prices being a big factor I'm sure). It should be a great ride for the trip to the coast in July. And I'm thinking it will be a sweet deal for Celiac and me up at Wildhorse this summer. Chuck has been tweaking and tuning ever since he got it and it now has a CD player, a DVD player and it's ready to roll! I've posted some pictures so you can check out the interior, and Chuck changing the brake pads so it's ready for the road. It doesn't really look like it, but it reminds me of the van in Napoleon Dynamite. Well, I guess I'd best log off and go print up some projects for the upcoming show (one of three) and try to get some matting done. Sigh.. somedays there are just too many things to do.

4 comments:

Kelsey said...

Paint the van orange and put a santana sticker on the side. Do it. You know you want to.

Lost Woman said...

Oh, this is so hilarious! Leave it to Chuck to go against the flow! While all of America tries to buy low gas mileage, electric and compact cars as they cringe about gas prices, he breaks from the pack and buys the big old gas guzzler family van for 10. (Lets don't forget you are empty nesters)

This just keeps making me chuckle! Its a beaut! Really does look nice. Now don't think in my chucking I'm not keenly aware that I will benefit from this giant anachronism. I caught that part about Wildhorse...... dare I hope this means we can sleep without hitting our heads and listening to mice ferret about?
Perhaps I should pitch in for some gas money? (:

ps. the concert sounds hilarious. Glad to hear you are getting a break now and then from the school craziness.

crazy lady said...

Oh yeah, we'll be sleeping with headroom this year! I'm not so sure about it being rodent proof. Those pesky critters were pretty resourceful up there if I remember correctly. It's not like we're planning to use it for our daily commute. It should be fun for those occasions where we are taking along someone and even heading from the cabin it will be cheaper than the deisel guzzling truck, which costs anywhere from 75 to 85 cents a gallon more than regular gas. Chuck is having a blast getting it all tuned up, decked out and ready for road trips.

michandler said...

Too funny that he actually bought it. I knew he would (regardless of the gas mileage). He had a look in his eye when he was talking about it when we were there.
Cooper would have loved the penguins. He'd be right there belly laughing with you. The image of Chuck standing there and the penguins sitting with its arm around you is priceless. Too much fun.